Monday, September 10, 2007

Inculcate

To implant by repeated statement or admonition; teach persistently and earnestly; to cause or influence (someone) to accept an idea or feeling (usually fol. by with): Socrates inculcated his pupils with the love of truth.

Every post will come along with a new word I am trying to learn.

This blog was created on assignment for my Professional Ethics class. As such, it is likely most of my posts will concern ethics. I often have thoughts that do not find their way to vocal fruition in class for a lack of confidence in relevance, but I am scarcely textually intimidated. I tend to write too much and digress. I am trying to teach myself appropriate and comprehensive means of research, having shirked my duties to it in high school. I like learning.

My current research involves modernism, postmodernism, dadaism, surrealism, Buddhism, Hinduism, primitivism, futurism, the Age of Enlightenment, global warming, ethics and animals, ethics and all biological entities, and the nature of humanity. In addition, a persistent hobby of mine during the last two years has been theoretical physics, utilizing a mostly math-exempt approach (superficial, indeed, but I lack the financial resources to pursue a sidelong healthy mathematical career). Along with that, I had a former (and still, slight) interest in the MBTI, and though well-versed in it, am dubious of its veritable application. I am also very interested in rationalism, am engulfed in the works of Carl Sagan, and hold, as one of many philosophies, the (imperfect) application of proper logic and the scientific method. Despite all of these things, I am a film studies major, what can be feebly called a writer, and generally a student.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I like the "new word for each post" idea.

dkj