Monday, October 1, 2007

Bouleversement

bool-vair-suh-MAWN\, noun:
Complete overthrow; a reversal; a turning upside down.

~~~~~~~

Today's class gave me some more motivation for adopting a diet closer to that of a vegan. I've been making the transition deliberately slow because of my inability to have ever managed a healthy diet, but upon close inspection I've found that the resistance is not due to any moral uncertainties, but lethargy. Giving up meat wasn't that big of a deal. I only really liked chicken anyway. Giving up cake, cheese, milk, things with eggs in them (I never liked eggs themselves): now that's difficult. But even so, most of those things that I enjoy aren't even good for my health (minus the vitamins that I can ascertain elsewhere). Then, when I'm done figuring out what kind of diet will keep me alive and align with my moral understandings, it's time to look at products of all types that I may not even know are derived from nonhuman animals.

This will not be easy.

But the biggest thing for me, I think, is that I'm not being forced to do this. I don't feel like there's a dogma or an authority demanding this of me. A big personal issue I have is that I must feel like (even when it's not the case and I know it) it's my decision. And the only thing I'm satisfying in this change is my moral sensibilities. I'm not worried about what anyone else will think of me, even when I openly discuss my morals about the matter. I'm not worried about being punished or judged, whether I'm wrong or not. It's more like adjusting my life to no longer include Santa or the Easter Bunny. I have come across some things that I perceive to be true, and as long as I believe them to be true, I should (and will) act appropriately. And as much as it can be hard to do so, I know it's worth it. Becoming a vegetarian, enacting moral beliefs, felt really good; much better than sticking to chicken just because I enjoyed it. I think veganism will be the same.

Most of the reason I'm writing this is to re-affirm it for myself. I'm sure that I'll question my motives several times (making sure I'm not out to be haughty or impress or even just to have a good excuse to eat better), and I'm sure I'll break my whole system of beliefs down several times to make sure the pieces build back up the same. But this is right, I think.

2 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

I think you rightly characterize effective learning. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Just to give you some influence,

I am a fruitatarian, frugivore
meaning i eat 90% fruit. I have been a raw-foodist now for 3 years in November.
I haven't lost any weight, well only a little when I was with toxemia in Peru last semester (but that's because of the polluted city i lived in).
the principle of my diet and all frugivores out there is that:
*fruits contain sweet energy and water, which are the most crucial nutrients for the human body.
*fruits are attractive to the senses, and therefore are designed by nature to be eaten by animals, in order to help fertilize the plant, and spread the love
*you don't have to kill the plant

I don't eat root veggies anymore (like onions, carrots, etc.). Onions are exasberating anyway! I eat veggie tops, like celery, broccoli, lettuce.
I do eat some nuts and seeds (but only a small selection).
the other basis to the diet is learning and practicing, food combining, and spacing out meals, in order to better the digestive tract, and prevent painful circumstances like Chrohn's or Collitus (which are some of the most problematic diseases in our world).
but, I am glad you have begun a journey into the vegan world
if you have any questions, throw a couple rows over
ciau! ciau!