Monday, February 11, 2008

Limn

\LIM\, transitive verb:
1. To depict by drawing or painting.
2. To portray in words; to describe.

~~~~~~~

Might I imagine, for a moment, a couple of scenarios that might curtail the notion of a linear continuum of time.

Firstly, the formerly proposed (and brought to me via Stephen Hawking) theory of a universal reversal (that's a fun little phrase). It was originally theorized that, should the universe's mass exceed the energy that pushes it (from the Big Bang onward), then the energy would eventually run out, time/space would slow down and stop expanding, and thereafter hurtle back inward like a rubber band. At such a moment, the linear continuum of time might be reversed: effect would precede cause, we would live our lives from birth to death, and the motion of the universe would mirror itself until shrinking into another in an infinite series of Big Bangs. It never made sense to me why they thought time would run backward merely because the universe was shrinking... There are several irregularities with this theory that make it implausible.

I liked the notion of an infinite loop of Big Bangs. But it isn't true: proved only in the last decade, the critical mass was proved insufficient: the universe will go on expanding forever, likely resulting in what's called "heat death" where atoms are torn so far from one another (due to the infinite and exponential increase in gravitational outward thrust as space literally "appears" between objects) as to be incapable of vibration, and everything becomes perfectly still. So much for the first contradiction of linear time.

EDIT: I had other stuff here, but it was wrong. So now I only have one disproved contradiction to the linear continuum of time.

Just hypothetical (and superficial; I'm no scientist) science tonight, I guess. I've yet to believe the philosophy regarding time is much different from the science approaching it (except when considering human-created metaphors and the like), but perhaps (and I think it likely) I'll have more to talk about after class tomorrow.

No comments: