Friday, November 7, 2008

Insensate

–adjective
1. not endowed with sensation; inanimate: insensate stone.
2. without human feeling or sensitivity; cold; cruel; brutal.
3. without sense, understanding, or judgment; foolish.

~~~~~~~

3.

I have been working on a blog post for over a week now, and it is about time I started posting it--as each section feels completed I'll throw it up here. All of them follow one thought, I'll number them.

~~~~~~~

Freud was a brilliant man, and he hit the subconscious on the nose. Pinpointing our vigorous natural inclinations and tracking them retrograde; and patiently pursuing misunderstood actions back to these referents opens up not only a world of sympathy and understanding for each individual, but a path to better self-control and happiness. It is a pity he was unwilling to accept the contradictions of his peers and apprentices, who noticed his unusual and unnecessary emphasis on sexual origin, as until sex became a pervasive element of his theory, his findings were genius.

And they are genius—even though he miscalculated the line of reason where sex is concerned, I do not personally doubt that sex, lust and the emotional context it maintains is among the chief determinants of natural behavior. What I believe sits atop the pyramid, and what I mentioned as one of Freud’s mistakes, however, is the ideal of security.

No comments: